In order to participate in one of our on-going research projects, there are a few criteria that must be met before volunteering:
- Are you right-handed?
- Are you between the ages of 18 and 28?
- Have you had exposure to any other languages before the age of 6? (Did your mom, dad, siblings and caregivers speak only English to you as a baby and small child?)
- Do you wear contact lenses? (If so, then you can bring your glasses to participate)
If you can answer yes to all these questions, then you are a good candidate to participate in one of our studies.
Occasionally, for some of our deaf studies we need deaf subjects, and left-handed or older hearing participants.
What to expect
- First, you will fill out a consent form once you have arrived at the lab (Suite #203). Then we will begin the EEG setup.
- This is a non-invasive process where an elastic electrode cap (like a swimming cap) will be placed on the head, and conducting gel will be massaged onto the scalp. This gel can be easily rinsed out of the hair with water, and we advise that you prepare in advance to have your hair a little messy afterwards.
- The researcher will then explain the directions for the task.
- Setup can take approximately up to 30 minutes.
- Volunteers will be repaid for their time with monetary compensation.
You may comment below with your name and email address if you would like us to contact you for a study. Thank you for your interest!